Normal data centers, even the most efficient ones, waste all the heat that they generate. Because the warm air that the servers create is not re-used all that energy is lost.
Currently, Dutch data centers use more electricity than all of Amsterdam, or more than 4% of all electricity in the Netherlands . That amount is growing fast, leading to more fossil fuel consumption, more hoarding of green energy, and more landscape pollution.
Leafcloud believes a lot of this energy can be re-used to reduce the use of fossil fuels and takes a radically different approach.
Some of the big cloud providers are now making pretty promises  and there are a handful [I] of examples where heat is re-used, but they are still on the path of just trying make the dumping of their heat more efficient.
Think about it like this: Progressively improving cooling efficiency is still like making a more efficient diesel car, no longer good enough. By rethinking the fundamental idea of a data center and using servers as highly effective heaters, Leafcloud is causing a revolution in cloud sustainability.
In short We use our energy twice: first, to power our servers, and second, to substitute the use of fossil fuel for heating.
Our unique distributed architecture allows Leafcloud servers to be installed at locations such as apartment buildings, hotels and other structures that require year-round heating. At these Leaf Sites the servers deliver heat into the local water and heating system. By substituting heating from sources such as natural gas a lot of energy and CO2 emissions are saved.
Our measurements show that on a Leaf Site we capture and deliver around 85% of our heat to the buildings' heating system. Of the remaining 15% some of the losses are attributed to our cooling system and the rest is waste heat that we cannot capture.
In the following graph we compare our energy spent with high efficiency datacenters, the average datacenter, and with an on-premise data room.